Kunín Castle belongs to the most valuable Baroque buildings in northern Moravia. It was built by a famous Austrian architect Johann Lukas von Hildebrandt to the wishes of Count of Harrach, who bought an old stone fort and requested architect Hildebrandt rebuild it to its present form as a two-storey baroque castle. After, the Count of Harrach, the castle was owned by Zeil Walburg, then Schindler from Kunwald and eventually business family Knights Bauer until 1945, when the whole of their property was confiscated and fell into state ownership. The castle was heavily damaged during the stay of Soviet troops at the end of the 2nd World War II in April 1945.
In the 1950s chateau's were acquired under administration of state for agricultural estates, during this time the castle was a hostel for temporary workers and a warehouse for pharmaceuticals.
In the 1970s The castle was acquired by University of Veterinary, Brno – but with no sensitivity to the castle history the University changed it into student dorms.
In 1999 the castle became the property of the village of Kunin, who took care of it and use volunteers to save this Baroque monument. It was opened to the public in 2003 and is now part of the museum management of Novy Jicin
Welcome to U Dobre Hrabenky, Castle Restaurace and stylish accommodation situated in the grounds of the historic Kunin Castle. We are located in the heart of Moravia, serving the local community with fresh, traditional cuisine and elegant accommodation to visitors to Novy Jicin, Beskydy and beyond.